After last week’s fiasco with my oven which led me to smoking out my entire apartment, I was more determined than ever to bake something delicious for you this weekend.
For anyone who knows me, they’ll know I have a weakness for chocolate and sweet things. I’ve been doing a bit of research to see what could essentially fulfil my ‘something sweet’ desire and I found Kelly Senyei’s Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies. I decided to tweak them slightly by adding more chocolate and less of the other ingredients. After my last batch of extremely yummy Gooey Creme Egg Brownies and my disastrous episode with oven, I was a bit apprehensive about baking them.
However as they say “the proof is in the pudding”, will it be these vibrant, rich and creamy brownies or the gooey ones?
I’ll let you judge for yourself…
But then again, with brownies is there really a preference? Or are they all just winners?
These brownies are rich, sweet and deliciously chocolately all at once.
I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have them any other way… Okay, maybe with more lashings of ice cream.
Here’s what I used to make the Red Velvet Brownies:
- 230g butter
- 400g golden caster sugar
- 8 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I used Cadbury Bournville Cocoa)
- A few drops of vanilla extract (I never count… but roughly about 6 drops)
- A few drops of red food colouring (My brownies don’t appear too red so it depends on your preference)
- 4 eggs
- 200g plain flour
- A handfull of chocolate chips
And for the cheesecake topping:
- 1 pack of cream cheese (I used good old Philadelphia)
- 80g caster sugar
- More drops of vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolk
- Crushed pieces of white chocolate
Now for the fun part… Makin’n’bakin them!
- Preheat your oven to 190ºc and line a slightly deep baking tray with buttered greaseproof paper to stop the brownies from sticking
- Melt your butter in a bowl over boiling water and add this to the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract then add your red food colouring
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and stir these into the brownie mixture
- Fold in the flour adding a bit at a time until well combined
- Then add 3/4 of the mixture to your baking tray reserving a bit to add for the topping
- To make the cheesecake topping, simply combine the cream cheese, caster sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolk together – either whisking my hand if you’re super speedy or by using a electric mixer
- Once smooth, spread the cheesecake mixture over your brownies
- Add the remaining brownie batter and get creative by swirling it all together and sprinkling the crushed pieces of white chocolate all over
- Pop it into the oven for 35 minutes or until the cheesecake is silky and firm
- Leave to cool, add a few drizzles of red food colouring and serve with great big dollops of vanilla ice cream and a few raspberries…
… Pure brownie heaven on a plate!
These would be perfect for any Summer dinner parties or if you’re like me – for general daily treats!
Let me know what you think and enjoy!
Thanks for reading x